Monday, October 11, 2010

Solomon's Wisdom & Peter Cartwright's story

Answer to yesterdays quote:  Move "Return to me" starring Minnie Driver

Quote for today:  What movie is this in?  " How long is eternity gramps?  It's a right smart piece of time boy!"

Ted Bundy (murdered over 30 women)  said since nothing created the universe and we were created by random processes everything must be relative and morals are subjective.  Logical conclusion is that killing a pig for ham sandwich is no different that raping a women & killing her for pleasure.  I'm so glad God did create our universe and established standards to live by and made a way to heaven for anyone who would reach out and accept it.  He will not force it upon anyone.  Jim Elliot a modern day martyr for Christ said something very wise.  He said "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he can never lose."  For anyone who may not understand -- giving our short lives in this world to Jesus and living for him in exchange for eternal life in paradise with God and all the people who also gave their lives to Christ.  I agree with Jim Elliot anyone who makes that choice is no fool.  I gave Jesus my heart, repented of my sin and accepted by faith His gift of salvation when I was 19 in the Philippines.  And I can still make mistakes everyday and still make it into heaven because of what Christ did for me on the Cross of Calvary. WOW!!!!!!

Peter Cartwright:
As the American frontier moved west, preachers called circuit riders traveled from place to place visiting families.  Peter Cartwright was a successful circuit rider.  He found Jesus at age 15 converted from a life of gambling, horse racing, & fighting.  At 17 (1802) he started preaching which lasted 53 yrs.  He brought the Gospel to frontier families in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois.  He became friends with Abraham Lincoln and died at his farm in Pleasant Plains, IL, on Sept 25, 1872 age 87.   I love examples like this of people who give to others all their lives, like my mom and dad (Phil & Inez)

Solomon (cont)

I thought in my heart, "Come now. I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good."  But that also proved to be meaninless.  Laughter, " I said, "is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?"  I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly--my mind still guiding me with wisdom.  I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.
I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.  I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.  I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees.  I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house.  I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.  I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces.  I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well--the delights of the heart of man.  I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me.  In all this my wisdom stayed with me. 
I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.  My heart took delight in all my work; and this was the reward for all my labor.  Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

Analysis:  I've heard testimony of football stars, baseball stars, hall of famers, movie stars etc.  who have said the same thing after their ultimate success.  Is that all there is?  I made it to the top and still feel empty.  There must be more.  Well there is.  That's what heaven is for.  God said " neither eye has seen or ear heard the glory God has prepared for those who love him." 

Till tomorrow.  If I don't make it - I love you all and hope to spend eternity with you on the other shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment