Sunday, October 10, 2010

Solomon's Wisdom & John Bunyan

ANSWERS questions on YESTERDAYS POST:
(Unforgiven and Red Skelton)

Q: What movie is this quote from?:  "It's those with the most character that God gives the most challenges.  You can take that as a complement."  And also "When she met you her heart beat truly for the first time."

Solomon continued:

I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.  I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven.  What a heavy burden God has laid on men!  I have seen al the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.  What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted.  I thought to myself, "Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me;  I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge."  Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.  For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

Mark's Analysis:  Solomon had everything (wisdom, power, riches, honor, reputation, & God's favor), and yet discusses the vanity and emptiness of all this world has to offer.  Looking back over his life he saw most of it as meaningless.  Maybe he wanted his readers to avoid his own mistakes and realize that nothing apart from God could satisfy permenently.  If we try to find meaning in our accomplishments, rather than God, we will never be satisfied, and everything we pursue will become wearisome.  Apostle Paul said that he knew what is was to be both rich and poor, but that the answer was that whatever state he found himself to be content.  Godliness with contentment is great gain he said -- that rings true to my heart - how about you? 

JOHN Bunyan:  was born 1628 in southern England.  He became a preacher and ended up in prison for refusing to stop per the king's order (1661).  The prison just down from his home enabled his blind daughter Mary to bring him a jug of soup daily.  Bunyan spent almost 12 yrs in prison where he wrote many articles and books.  The most well known being Pilgrim's Progress, an imaginary story of a young man traveling toward heaven.  John got out of prison in 1672 and returned to his life as a pastor.  He died in London in 1688 from pneumonia, which he apparently caught after riding thru a chilling rainstorm to help settle an argument between a father and son.


Mark's Analysis:   It amazes me how God uses ordinary people thru good and hard times to accomplish his work.  I can't help but also notice that many great songs and writings are the result of extremely stressful situations in people lives.  For instance we would most likely not have Pilgrim's Progress if John Bunyan had not been put into prison.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment