Tuesday, November 3, 2020

The Queens Gambit (TV miniseries Netflix 2020) Review 10/10

 


The Queens Gambit (TV miniseries Netflix 2020) Review 10/10

This is a serious drama revolves around chess.  Why the ten rating you ask.  Because it really hits home to what it means to be human.  When I saw the trailer, the chess got my attention and the actress was cast perfectly for the part.  Casting for the entire series was outstanding.  I was a lad in the 60s myself maybe that’s partly what got my attention as well.  It is so well written and if you read my reviews I hate to give too much away as I believe each viewer should be surprised and feel the essence of the film for themselves and not have half of it given away before they’ve seen it. 

The series never loses stride and it uses flashback which I have grown to love in movies.  When done well its hard to beat.  It takes us on a journey of a young orphan girl into a man’s world of chess and world travel.  You also get the feel of her entire life in this short series – no small feat.  It made me realize again life is worth living not just for yourself, but for others though at the same time how important it is to take care of yourself along the way.  It showed me afresh how we can learn anything in 4 or 5 years regardless of our age.  I saw friends rally around those in need.  I witnessed human drama at its highs and lows which we all go through one way or another.  It tears down walls and shows us the cost of certain life choices and the need for helpers along the way.  It’s the adage ‘no man is an island’ though we are indeed a universe unto ourselves in many ways.  It showed me we must fight our self mostly to do what is right and good – it rarely comes easily. 

You will find yourself rooting for her and crying with her and glad for that phone call.  You find yourself wanting to talk with her and give her advice, but you can’t – its only a movie.  But I for one think stories are magical and powerful things turning the hearts of people for good or evil. 

You see how our past is always with us but can be used to motivate us to do better or destroy us if we’re not careful.  I hope you enjoy this period piece that is timeless in its lessons of love and friendship and hard knocks, respect and finding a place in this life. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment