Monday, March 5, 2018

It's a Wonderful Life - REVIEW 10/10



It’s a wonderful life
(1946) Family Drama

Frank Capra’s first film after serving in WWII the movie is a celebration of the lives and dreams of ordinary folks who do most of the living and dying in America.  Capra found the idea in a story by Philip Van Doren Stern.

Thank goodness he did.  It’s in my top 5 movie list.  If you’ve never seen the movie find a quiet evening and get some snacks and a blanket and enjoy.  I’m not exactly sure what magic makes some movies watchable multiple times while others once is good enough even if they are really good.  Whatever the answer this one has the magic. 

I can practically quote the movie.  All George Bailey wants to do is leave home and see the world and build things and experience things other than small town life.  It seems one thing after another keeps him from being able to do that because he cares so much for others.  Something that I believe is still alive in modern America.  Some movies I wish I could see for the first time again, this is one of those.  This movie strangely contains the most romantic kiss scene ever in my humble opinion – who knew?  I could go on for pages why this movie is so great, just watch it. 

I’ll close with a quote from one of my favorite scenes: 

Ma Bailey: Did you know that Mary Hatch is back from school?
George: Uh-huh.
Ma Bailey': Came back three days ago.
George: Hmmmm...
Ma Bailey: Nice girl, Mary.
George: Mmm Hmmmm....
Ma Bailey: Kind that will help you find the answers, George.
George: Hmmm...
Ma Bailey: Oh, stop that grunting.
George: Hmmm...
Ma Bailey: Can you give me one good reason why you shouldn't call on Mary?
George: Sure –– Sam Wainwright.
Ma Bailey: Hmmm?
George: Yes. Sam's crazy about Mary.
Ma Bailey: Well, she's not crazy about him.
George: Well, how do you know? Did she discuss it with you?
Ma Bailey: No.
George: Well then, how do you know?
Ma Bailey: Well, I've got eyes, haven't I? Why, she lights up like a firefly whenever you're around.

No comments:

Post a Comment